Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Photos of Red Headed Woodpecker and Wild Turkeys at Palo Duro Canyon

After watching your news and excellent weather reporting for the past couple of nights, I decided that you might be interested in a few photos that I took at Palo Duro Canyon State Park, earlier today, April 29. They are photos of a Red Headed Woodpecker and some of the Wild Turkeys who happened upon the scene. Wild Turkeys are among some of the hardest birds to photograph, in my experience. This is also the first Red Headed Woodpecker that I have seen in the wild, also. If there are any in New Mexico, I have not observed them. So, if you can use any of these photos, you are welcome to. My wife and I are retired and live in Albuquerque, New Mexico. We decided to come over to the Amarillo area for a few days to look at some of local museums, Palo Duro Canyon State Park, and Alibates Flint Quarry National Monument. Thank You!

Sherwin G. Kohnke

1 comment:

MJ Casteel said...

Wow! Cool pictures. We have both woodpeckers and wild turkeys roaming freely on our property here in Tierra Grande. They are very interesting to watch. I've taken several photos of them, I'll have to send them in.